- Event: Dad Vail Regatta
- Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Schuylkill River)
- The Lead: Competing in the two-day Dad Vail Regatta, the MIT men's heavyweight crew team saw its Second Varsity 8 and Third Varsity 4 place finish fifth and sixth in their respective Grand Final races while the Varsity 8 finish fourth in the Petite Final on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In Friday's time trial, the Varsity 8 finished eighth with a time of 5:27.666 seconds, exactly 2.165 seconds behind fourth-place Delaware. St. Joseph's registered the best time of the day, completing the 1,900-meter race in 5:17.680. Later in the day, the Engineers finished fourth in the semifinals with a time of 5.52.699 as Army edged them out by 2.6 seconds. In the Petite Final on Saturday, MIT crossed the finish line in 5:48.889 to place fourth in its heat and 10th overall. Despite a good time, it was not quite fast enough in a very strong field. Army came away with the victory with a time of 5:44.276.
- The Second Varsity 8 won its very close time trial in 5:34.059, .24 seconds ahead of St. Joseph's, and .8 seconds ahead of fourth-place Delaware. The Engineers recorded another victory as they edged out Virginia by 1.657 seconds (6:00.674 – 6:02.331) in the semifinals. Racing for the Ernie Bayer Trophy on Saturday, MIT finished fifth in 5:58.254, capping off a highly successful season. Temple captured the trophy with a time of 5:46.884.
- The 3V4 recorded a time of 6:31.832, which ranked fifth in Friday's time trial and was five seconds behind first-place Drexel. MIT then finished second in its semifinal race as it was beat out by Colgate by 5.501 seconds (6:56.727 – 7:02.228). In Saturday's Grand Final, SUNY Brockport edged out the Engineers by .649 seconds for fifth place, in what was a good showing for MIT's boat. Drexel won the event with a time of 6:44.475.
- MIT awaits the announcement for selections to the IRA National Championship which will be held June 1-3 at Mercer Lake in West Windsor, N.J.