- Event: 2018 NEWMAC Championship
- Results: 1st of 7 teams - 125 points - After Day One
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center Pool)
- The Lead: On the opening night of the 2018 New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Swimming and Diving Championship, hosted by MIT inside the Zesiger Sports and Fitness Center Pool, the MIT men's swimming and diving team won both the 800-free relay and the 1-meter dive to jump out in front in the team standings with 125 points.
Behind MIT in the standings is Springfield with 96 points, Coast Guard with 90, WPI with 83, Clark with 54, Babson with 50 and Wheaton with 40.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the "A" final of the 800-free relay, sophomore David Morejon (Humble, Texas), as well as seniors Jeremy Bogle (Weston, Mass.), Dane Erickson (Naples, Fla.) and Joshua Tomazin (Austin, Texas), finished first with a time of 6:48.74, which was 4.03-seconds faster than the "A" team from WPI, which clocked a time of 6:52.77.
- In the "B" final of the 800-free relay, MIT sophomore Bouke Edskes (Rockville, Md.), freshman Jacob Phillips (Raleigh, N.C.), classmate Henry Hu (Southbury, Conn.) and sophomore Emilio Sison (Annandale, Va.) touched the wall first as they clocked a time of 6:45.03, which was 9.55-seconds faster than the "B" team from Coast Guard.
- MIT sophomore Samuel Solomon (Rockville, Md.) won the NEWMAC title in the 1-meter diving competition with an NCAA Division III Diving Regional qualifying score of 486.60. Junior Jeremy Sands (Skokie, Ill.), who finished third in the event, also posted a qualifying score of 456.20. Freshman Maxwell Halkenhauser (Denville, N.J.) took 11th place overall with a score of 342.10.
- MIT returns to the pool tomorrow morning for the second day of the NEWMAC Championship. Events tomorrow include the 200-free relay, 500-free, 200-IM, 50-free and the 400-medley relay. Prelims begin at 10:00 a.m. and finals start at 6:00 p.m.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.