- Score: MIT 56, Wheaton College 30
- Records: MIT (9-5, 5-2 NEWMAC); Wheaton (6-9, 1-5 NEWMAC)
- Location: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Lead: MIT outscored Wheaton College, 15-4, in the first quarter en route to a 56-30 NEWMAC women's basketball victory on Thursday night. Freshman Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) paced the Engineers with a game-high 15 points while grabbing seven rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT built a 6-2 lead in the first four minutes of the game but the score remained unchanged until junior Maude Gull's (Zurich, Switzerland) three-pointer ignited a 9-2 run during the last 1:55 of the quarter, capped by a layup by classmate Dolly Yuan (San Jose, Calif.) at the buzzer.
- The Engineers maintained their comfortable cushion throughout the second stanza as two free throws by junior Taylor V'Dovec (Blaine, Wash.) late in the frame gave the visitors a 32-14 advantage at halftime.
- MIT opened the third quarter with a 14-4 run that saw Yuan's trey establish a 26-point margin (44-18) at the 5:50 mark. The remainder of the game was a balanced affair as both squads produced 12 points down the stretch.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- V'Dovec tallied 10 points, a game-high nine rebounds, and two steals as Yuan registered 10 points, four assists, and four boards. Junior Kristen Ngan (Sudbury, Mass.) posted eight points, four rebounds, and two steals while senior Lindsay Westlake (Brookline, Mass.) contributed five rebounds.
- The Engineers recorded advantages in field-goal percentage (42.9 – 24.1), rebounds (41-35), points in the paint (30-18), and points off turnovers (12-8). Wheaton, meanwhile, finished with a slight edge in second-chance points (16-10).
- MIT continues conference play on Saturday, Jan. 13 when it hosts WPI at 2:00 p.m.