- Score: WPI 4, MIT 0
- Records: MIT (8-5, 3-2 NEWMAC); WPI (10-2, 4-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: Led by a season-high 11 saves from goalie Karen Mushrall, the WPI field hockey team defeated MIT by a 4-0 final on a rainy Saturday in Cambridge.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- WPI jumped on the board just 6:24 into the first half as Angie Ferro took a pass from Bridget Sullivan off the penalty corner and put it home for her fifth goal of the season.
- The visitors nearly added to the lead with 13 minutes left in the first as Abby O'Sullivan came in one-on-one with MIT goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.). Moore came out of the net to cut down on the shooting angle though and O'Sullivan's shot went just wide right.
- O'Sullivan did find the net early in the second half for her 16th goal of the year, off the first of two assists from Lindsey Giorgi. Sullivan and Giorgi connected for WPI's third goal of the game, followed by O'Sullivan at the 58:25 mark as she received a great pass from Shannon Hynes for her second goal of the contest.
- MIT's Bailey Tregoning (Frederick, Md.) nearly put the Engineers on the board with 18:20 remaining, but Mushrall made a great diving save to her left to preserve the shutout.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT outshot WPI by a 14-10 margin and held a slight edge in penalty corners at 7-6.
- Mushrall earned her third shutout of the year for WPI with her 11-save effort, while Moore made three stops in 62:26 of play for MIT.
- MIT returns to the field on Tuesday, October 16th as the Engineers travel to Wellesley College for a 4 p.m. NEWMAC start.