- Score: No. 5 MIT 3, No. 4 WPI 1
- Records: MIT (10-7); WPI (12-5)
- Location: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Stadium)
- The Lead: A pair of goals by sophomore Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) helped the No. 5 seeded MIT field hockey team defeat No. 4 WPI in the quarterfinals of the NEWMAC Championship Tournament on Tuesday night. With the win, MIT will be making its third straight semifinal appearance and ninth in 10 years.
- 18th Minute (17:17) – MIT 1, WPI 0: WPI goalie Karen Mushrall got a piece of a blast by Garofalo but the ball trickled in.
- 58th Minute (57:07) – MIT 2, WPI 1: Angie Ferro collected the rebound of her previously saved attempt and then put a diving shot on goal.
- 59th Minute (58:08) – MIT 3, WPI 1: Garofalo buried an unassisted marker for an insurance goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT had the upper hand in shots (18-13) and shots on goal (11-9) while WPI had a 4-2 edge in penalty corners.
- Sophomore Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) and Mushrall both made eight saves.
- MIT continues the NEWMAC Tournament on Thursday, Nov. 1 when it travels to top-seeded and nationally-ranked No. 13 Babson College for a 3:30 p.m. semifinal game.