Women’s Lacrosse Falls to Southern Maine, 16-15, in 2OT

Sophomore Christine Jiang
Sophomore Christine Jiang

GORHAM, Maine – Despite holding a three-goal advantage late in regulation, the University of Southern Maine battled back to defeat the MIT women's lacrosse team, 16-15, in double overtime on Sunday. Freshman Hannah Levy (Yardley, Pa.) paced the Engineers (9-5) with four goals and added two groundballs.

Sophomore Kira Schott (New Canaan, Conn.) tallied three goals, six draw controls, five groundballs, and two caused turnovers while classmate Isabella DiDio (Jenkintown, Pa.) posted three goals and six groundballs for the Cardinal and Gray. Freshmen Keeley Erhardt (Ann Arbor, Mich.) and Erica Green (Ivyland, Pa.) both scored twice as fellow rookie Tate DeWeese (Towson, Md.) totaled one goal, four groundballs, and two caused turnovers. Sophomore Kristyn Berretta (San Diego, Calif.) collected five draw controls while classmate Christine Jiang (Canton, Mich.) gathered three of her own. Senior Emily Dunne (Paget, Bermuda) recorded three groundballs and two caused turnovers as junior goalie Candice Kaplan (Arlington, Va.) generated seven saves and two groundballs.

Southern Maine opened the scoring after 57 seconds expired and held the slight lead until Levy buried a free-position shot. The Huskies found the back of the net a minute later but Schott won the ensuing draw and went right to goal. Erhardt then put MIT in front, 3-2, following her free-position strike at the 21:35 mark.

The game became a back-and-forth affair during the next 15 minutes but a strike by DeWeese ended the stalemate with 6:25 on the clock. In the next 59 seconds, Southern Maine stopped its scoring drought however Erhardt replied with a goal of her own to move the score to 5-3. The Huskies responded with a three-goal spurt to reclaim the lead with 28 seconds to go. With a player advantage, Green capitalized on the opportunity and evened the score at six with two ticks left.

The Engineers carried the momentum into the second stanza as Schott found the back of the net following 43 seconds of action while a solo effort by Levy increased the cushion to 8-6. Southern Maine quickly registered back-to-back goals to even things up at the 25:04 mark. MIT countered with three goals, establishing an 11-8 advantage with 18:08 on the clock. DiDio's free-position shot started the run while Levy followed with one of her own. Schott then recorded the Engineers' second man-up goal to cap off the spurt.

The Huskies slowly chipped away at the deficit, eventually tying the game at 11 with 12:50 left to play. MIT responded with three goals in the next four minutes as Green and Levy converted free-position attempts while DiDio buried an unassisted marker. Southern Maine stopped the run with a free-position goal with 7:16 on the clock. A defensive battle ensued during the next four minutes until DiDio broke through with a free-position strike, giving the Engineers a 15-12 lead.

A turnover following the draw led to a goal by the hosts at 1:28 and then they narrowed the gap to one exactly 22 seconds later. Southern Maine won its second straight draw which led to the equalizer with 51 seconds remaining in regulation.

In the first overtime session, Kaplan turned away a free-position attempt after 46 seconds expired. MIT's best opportunity came early in the next three-minute segment but Levy's shot was saved. The Huskies' next possession saw their attempt sail wide right of the goal with 1:17 to go before turning it over right before the horn sounded. In the sudden victory second overtime period, Southern Maine came up with the draw and converted its free-position attempt following 17 seconds of action.

Next up for the Engineers will be the conclusion of their three-game road trip on Tuesday, April 15 at NEWMAC foe Emerson College.