- Location: Woburn, Mass. (Woburn Racquet Club)
- Score: No. 11 MIT 5, Colby-Sawyer 0
- Records: No. 11 MIT (19-2); Colby-Sawyer (17-6)
- The Lead: On a rainy Saturday afternoon, No. 11 ranked MIT women's tennis advanced to the next round of the NCAA Tournament with a 5-0 victory over Colby-Sawyer College in a match played indoors at the Woburn Racquet Club. With today's victory, the team has now set the single-season program record for wins at 19 and advances into the NCAA regional final for the fourth time.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In doubles, the Engineers got off to strong starts in all three matches, including an 8-2 win at No. 2 from seniors Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.) and Sonya Das (Arden Hills, Minn.). MIT took the No. 3 spot by an 8-2 final as well, along with an 8-3 win in the No. 1 position as senior Elysa Kohrs (Half Moon Bay, Calif.) and freshman Libby Rickeman (Wayzata, Minn.) are now 14-3 as a doubles team.
- In singles, freshman Marina Zhang (Garnet Valley, Pa.) earned the fourth MIT point with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Lauren Blanchard to move the Engineers within one point. No. 1 singles (Kohrs), No. 4 singles (Tzeng) and No. 5 singles (Lara Rakocevic) were all within a game of going in MIT's favor, but it was Tzeng that clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Aislinn O'Connor. In the unfinished matches, MIT took the first set in each of them and led the second.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT currently sits at No. 11 in the latest Oracle/ITA Division III National rankings, while the Engineers are also ranked sixth in the Northeast Region. Kohrs is ranked No. 2 in the latest regional singles rankings, while Rickeman checks in at the No. 9 spot. In addition, as a doubles team Kohrs and Rickeman are fifth in the region.
- MIT now advances to the Sweet 16 and will take on No. 6 ranked Tufts University in the regional final beginning at Noon on Sunday, May 13th. That match will take place at the Voute Tennis Courts at Tufts and is a rematch from earlier this year when the Jumbos took a narrow 5-4 final from the Engineers.