- Score: MIT 3, SUNY Oneonta 0
- Records: MIT (19-3); Oneonta (8-13)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team kicked off the MIT Quad Tournament by sweeping SUNY Oneonta, 25-14, 25-15, 25-12, on Friday night. The Engineers produced a season-best .374 hitting percentage in the non-conference victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT senior Megan Gebhard (Howell, Mich.) and sophomore Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) both totaled a match-high 13 kills as junior Alli Davanzo (St. Johns, Fla.) registered eight kills and five aces.
- Sophomore Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) posted 41 assists and three aces while senior Tori Wuthrich (Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich.) racked up 19 digs, followed by 15 from junior Lisette Tellez (Miami, Fla.).
- Paige Carpluk paced Oneonta's attack with nine kills as Jessica Pelaccio and Jessica Fowler distributed nine and seven assists, respectively. Lindsay Pelaccio collected 15 digs while Sara Feldman added nine of her own.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT gradually established an 18-9 lead in the first set following a kill by Tellez. The scoring was balanced down the stretch as the Engineers finished with a 25-14 margin.
- The hosts jumped out to a 6-1 lead in the second stanza but the Red Dragons battled back, tying the score on five occasions, the last at 12-12 on a Feldman kill. A kill by MIT sophomore Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) coupled with strong serving from Liao helped fuel a 13-2 set-ending run.
- The Engineers continued to cruise in the third set as they built a 24-5 advantage. Miscues along with kills by Victoria Moulder, Carpluk, and Constance Krause helped Oneonta string together seven unanswered points to stay alive. The late spurt was ultimately stopped by Gebhard's match-clinching kill.
- MIT and Oneonta conclude the MIT Quad Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 15 with matches against the College of Mount Saint Vincent and Swarthmore College starting at 10:30 a.m.