- Score: No. 15 MIT 3, Wellesley College 0 (25-14, 25-23, 25-16)
- Records: No. 15 MIT (22-1, 8-0 NEWMAC); Wellesley (14-4, 8-1 NEWMAC)
- Location: Wellesley, Mass. (Gracia Mangano Martore '73 Court)
- The Lead: In a battle of undefeated NEWMAC women's volleyball teams, nationally-ranked No. 15 MIT emerged with a 25-14, 25-23, 25-16 victory over Wellesley College on Tuesday night. With the win, the Engineers improved to 22-1 on the year and 8-0 in conference play while the Blue saw its ledger dip to 14-4 overall and 8-1 in NEWMAC action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT scored five of the first six points of the match and maintained a comfortable cushion throughout as back-to-back kills by senior Alli Davanzo (Saint Johns, Fla.) gave the Engineers a 25-14 win.
- Wellesley built a 10-6 lead in the second set but a trio of kills along with a hitting error tied the score for MIT. The frame became a back-and-forth affair as 10 ties and three lead changes ensued. Knotted at 22, a kill by junior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) prompted a timeout by the Blue. Wellesley generated a kill once action resumed but kills by Bertics and senior Lisette Tellez (Miami, Fla.) secured the victory.
- The visitors gradually established a 12-8 advantage in the third stanza but the Blue used back-to-back kills to cut its deficit in half. MIT responded with a 12-5 run, reaching match point on a Davanzo ace. A block extended the frame for the hosts, however, Bertics's kill completed the sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bertics led all players with 13 kills and added three blocks while Davanzo tallied nine kills, a .471 hitting percentage, and three blocks. Sophomore Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) produced nine kills, a .368 hitting performance, and two blocks as freshman Andie Maloney (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) posted 33 assists and six digs. Junior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) collected a match-high 16 digs while senior Clare Farley (La Jolla, Calif.) totaled 11 digs and two aces. Sophomore Madison Lee (Hillsborough, Calif.) and junior Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) bolstered the defense with nine digs and three blocks, respectively.
- MIT continues its road trip with the New England Challenge this weekend at Williams College. The Engineers will play Tufts University on Friday, Oct. 20 at 7:00 p.m. and then take on the host Ephs (11:00 a.m.) and Middlebury College (3:30 p.m.) the following day.