No. 20 MIT 3, SUNY Oswego 1 (18-25, 25-23, 27-25, 25-10)
No. 20 MIT 3, SUNY Poly 1 (25-18, 23-25, 25-18, 25-9)
- Records: No. 20 MIT (2-0); SUNY Oswego (1-2), SUNY Poly (1-3)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y. (John W. Stewart Center for Student Activities)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 20 MIT women's volleyball team kicked off the 2018 season with a pair of wins at the Morrisville State College Tournament on Saturday night. The Engineers started the day with an 18-25, 25-23, 27-25, 25-10 victory over SUNY Oswego and then topped SUNY Poly, 25-18, 23-25, 25-18, 25-9.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS – MATCH ONE vs. SUNY Oswego:
- Senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) amassed 18 kills, a .455 hitting percentage, and two blocks.
- Junior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) tallied eight kills and two blocks.
- Senior Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) posted 40 assists and two aces.
- Senior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) generated 13 digs and two aces.
- Freshman Margaret Wang (Rockville, Md.) contributed six digs and two aces.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH TWO vs. SUNY Poly:
- Set 1: Trailing 15-12, a trio of Poly errors sparked a 13-3 run that was capped by a kill from senior Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.).
- Set 2: Trailing 21-20, the Wildcats put together a 4-1 burst to reach set point. A kill by freshman Nikasha Patel (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) extended the frame but Poly replied with a kill to clinch the set.
- Set 3: Tied at 10, a kill by Patel ignited a 12-3 run. The Wildcats rattled off five straight points, however, kills by Patel along with an ace by Bertics thwarted the late rally.
- Set 4: MIT jumped out to a 6-2 lead, but Poly narrowed the gap to 11-8. This was as close as it would get as it would get as Staub's kill kicked off a 14-1 run that ended the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bertics tallied 15 kills, seven digs, and three aces.
- Patel finished with nine kills, a .333 hitting percentage, and four blocks.
- Junior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) generated five blocks while Silvernale collected 10 digs.
- Wang totaled eight digs and three aces.
- Liao produced 36 assists and eight digs.
- MIT returns to action on Sunday, September 2 with two more matches to close out the Mustang Invitational. The Engineers will take on host Morrisville State at 11:00 a.m. followed by Hartwick College at 1:00 p.m.