No. 20 MIT 3, Morrisville State College 0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-21)
No. 20 MIT 3, Hartwick College 0 (25-16, 25-7, 25-16)
- Records: MIT (4-0); Morrisville State (3-1); Hartwick (1-3)
- Location: Morrisville, N.Y. (John W. Stewart Center for Student Activities)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 20 MIT women's volleyball team swept host Morrisville State College and Hartwick College on its way to winning the Morrisville State Tournament for the second year in a row on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH ONE vs. Morrisville State:
- Set 1: The back and forth set featured 11 ties and four lead changes. MIT rattled off four straight points to take a 19-17 lead. After an exchange of points that saw Morrisville State even the score at 21, the Engineers picked up the next three points as a kill by junior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) gave the visitors set point. The Mustangs extended the frame with a kill, however, Groark responded with a strike of her own to secure the win.
- Set 2: Morrisville State established an 8-5 lead, but a block by freshman Nikasha Patel (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) and senior Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) sparked a 12-3 run that put MIT ahead for good. The Engineers' advantage grew to 21-16, however, the Mustangs generated six straight points to tie the set at 21. After its own timeout, MIT went on to score four of the five next points as a kill by senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) closed the set.
- Set 3: Morrisville State inched out to an 11-7 lead, but a kill by freshman Julia Caravais (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) ignited a string of eight unanswered points. The Engineers maintained their small cushion until the Mustangs posted four straight points to come within one (22-21). MIT capitalized on two Groark kills and a Morrisville State hitting error to pull away for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Junior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) tallied nine kills, a .533 hitting percentage, and two blocks.
- Bertics totaled eight kills and two blocks while Staub posted seven kills and a .429 hitting performance.
- Freshman Margaret Wang (Rockville, Md.) generated 13 digs and three aces.
- Senior Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) dished out 29 assists while Caravais earned three aces.
- Junior Madison Lee (Hillsborough, Calif.) collected eight digs as Patel notched two blocks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS – MATCH TWO vs. Hartwick:
- Bertics led all players with 13 kills while hitting .632 and posting two aces and two blocks.
- Freshman Annie Bryan (Kirkwood, Mo.) bolstered MIT's attack with six kills.
- Liao distributed 28 assists while Patel tacked on two blocks.
- Senior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) racked up 16 digs and three aces.
- MIT hosts Gordon College on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 6:00 p.m.