- Score: No. 17 MIT 3, Gordon College 0 (25-11, 25-9, 25-11)
- Records: No. 17 MIT (5-0); Gordon (4-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: The nationally-ranked No. 17 MIT women's volleyball improved team to 5-0 on the season following a 25-11, 25-9, 25-11 victory over Gordon College on Wednesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: MIT claimed the first five points of the match, capped by an ace from freshman Margaret Wang (Rockville, Md.). Following its own timeout, Gordon put together a 3-1 burst as a kill by Jacque Fitzgerald narrowed the gap to 6-3. The Engineers replied with a 10-1 run that put the set out of reach as they cruised to a 25-11 win.
- Set 2: Tied at two, a kill from MIT junior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) led to six straight points for the hosts. An error coupled with an ace by Jamie Tafoya trimmed the Fighting Scots' deficit to 8-4. Sparked by a kill from freshman Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio), the Engineers went on to outscore Gordon, 17-5, en route to the victory.
- Set 3: A serving error brought the visitors with 5-4. However, the Engineers gradually pulled away before using a 6-1 spurt to secure a 25-11 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Senior Abby Bertics (La Jolla, Calif.) amassed 14 kills, a .571 hitting percentage, four digs, and three aces for MIT.
- Grupe produced eight kills, a .667 hitting performance, and two blocks while senior Carly Staub (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.) chipped in five kills.
- Senior Carly Silvernale (Bellevue, Wash.) tallied 12 digs and two aces as Wang posted five digs and three aces.
- Landeene led the way with three blocks while senior Christina Liao (Warren, N.J.) dished out 33 assists.
- Mackenzie Hinds powered Gordon with seven kills as Amanda Snyder generated seven digs and five kills.
- Jenny Curtiss collected five digs while Ashlyn Gergins distributed 17 assists.
- Both teams return to action on Friday, Sept. 7. MIT starts the two-day MIT Invitational, opening the weekend by hosting Roger Williams University at 6:00 p.m. Gordon, meanwhile, while take on Bowdoin College at 5:00 p.m. at the two-day Brandeis University Invitational.