- Result: Sharpe Team Race - 7th of 8 (1-6 Record)
- Location: Providence, R.I. (Brown University)
- The Lead: In their first regatta of the 2019 spring season, the MIT sailing team finished seventh with a 1-6 record at the Sharpe Team Race Trophy over the weekend. The regatta was limited to just Sunday competition as Saturday was cancelled due to the snow storm in New England.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT brought along Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Trevor Long (Hockessin, Del.) and Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) to serve as their skippers, while Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), John Ped (Portland, Ore.), Sameena Shaffeeullah (Danbury, Conn.) and Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.) served as the crews.
- In the team racing format, the Engineers were able to defeat Harvard University by crossing the finish line in first, second and fourth in the six boat race. MIT however was edged by Bowdoin, Brown, Dartmouth, the University of Rhode Island, Tufts and Yale to finish with a 1-6 record on Sunday.
- Next weekend, MIT will host the Team Race Invitational and the Wood Team Race Invitational and also send some student-athletes to the Rudkin Team Race Invitational at Eckerd College and the Navy Women's Regatta at the US Naval Academy.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.