Women's Team Race Regatta - 5th of 6
Sharpe Trophy - 6th of 8
- The Lead: The MIT sailing team opened its 2020 spring season with a pair of team race invitationals. The Engineers finished fifth at the Women's Team Race Regatta hosted by Boston University and sixth at the Sharpe Trophy hosted by Brown University.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Women's Team Race Regatta, the Engineers posted a record of 5-10 for fifth place overall. The skippers were Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.) and Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), while Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.), Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii), Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.), Elissa Ito (Tokyo, Japan) and Veronika Silkin (Johnston, Iowa) served as the crews. On Saturday, MIT faced a westerly breeze persisted ranging from 5 - 13 knots and on Sunday, Charles River returned to its old self and delivered a puffy breeze that pinballed between N and ESE.
- In round one, MIT defeated Rhode Island (2-3-4) and Tufts (2-3-5) and in round two the Engineers topped Tufts (1-4-5) and Boston University (1-2-4). In round three, the Engineers defeated the Jumbos once again (1-2-6) to round out the weekend.
- At the Sharpe Trophy, the Engineers posted a record of 5-9 for sixth place overall. The skippers were Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.), Crew Fritsch (Coronado, Calif.), Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), John Ped (Portland, Ore.) and Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), while Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), Supranamaaya Prasad (Yorktown, Va.), Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas), Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) and Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) served as the crews. On Saturday, MIT faced a breeze that was 5-14 knots from the West which brought very shifty conditions and then on Sunday, the Engineers had to work with a breeze of 8-15 knots from the NW and high of 35 degrees.
- In round one, MIT defeated Tufts (1-3-5) and Rhode Island (1-2-5), while in round two, the Engineers bested Boston University (1-3-4), Rhode Island (1-2-5) and Yale (1-2-3).
- Next weekend, MIT will host its own Team Race Invite and also travel to Navy for its Women's Regatta and to Harvard for the Wood Trophy.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.