MIT Team Race Invite: 4th, 6th, 11th of 12
Wood Trophy: 3rd of 8
- The Lead: In its second weekend of competition early this spring, the MIT sailing team finished third at the Wood Trophy, which was hosted by Harvard, and took three of the top 12 places at its own Team Race Invite.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- At the Wood Trophy, MIT produced a record of 10-7 which was good enough for third place only behind host Harvard (13-4) and Tufts (12-5). Ivan Shestopalov (Miami, Fla.), Stephen Duncan (Severna Park, Md.) and Emily Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.) served as the skippers, while Fiona McKellar (Palos Verdes, Calif.), Marcus Abate (Kemah, Texas), Julia Cho (Cupertino, Calif.), Supranamaaya Prasad (Yorktown, Va.), Lynn Liu (Orange, Conn.) and Jeremy McCulloch (San Diego, Calif.) served as the crews.
- In round one, the Engineers went 4-3 with wins over Fordham (1-3-4), UPenn (1-2-3), Rhode Island (1-2-5) and Vermont (2-5-6). MIT bettered its record in round two as the Engineers went 5-2 and added Northeastern (1-2-4) as a win. In the final four, which featured Harvard, Tufts and Rhode Island, MIT went 1-2 with a 3-5-6 win over the Jumbos.
- At the MIT Team Race Invite, the Engineers had three boats compete. Engineers 1 finished fourth (14-8), Engineers 2 finished sixth (12-10) and Engineers 3 finished 11th (5-17). Engineers 1 was sailed by Lulu Russell (Marion, Mass.), Kaila Pfrang (Suffolk, Va.), Dana Haig (Beach Haven, N.J.), Isabelle Yen (Palo Alto, Calif.), Liz Obermaier (Northville, Mich.) and Maile Jim (Honolulu, Hawaii). Engineers 2 was sailed by Alex Abate (Kemah, Texas), Crew Fritsch (Coronado, Calif.), John Ped (Portland, Ore.), Liu, Zoe Lallas (Chicago, Ill.) and Abbie Lee (Costa Mesa, Calif.). Engineers 3 was sailed by Charles Lindsey (West Palm Beach, Fla.), David Morejon (Kingwood, Texas), Meredith Julian (Cohasset, Mass.), Raymond Huffman (Manhasset, N.Y.), Julia Wyatt (Sudbury, Mass.), Wendy Wu (Andover, Mass.), Grace Mao (Overland Park, Kan.), Veronika Silkin (Johnston, Iowa), Zoe Fisher (River Forest, Ill.) and Elissa Ito (Tokyo, Japan).
- In round one, Engineers 1 posted a record of 8-3 with wins over British U (1-2-3), Harvard (2-3-5), MIT (1-2-3), Northeastern (1-3-4), Roger Williams (1-2-3), Tufts (1-2-5), Rhode Island (1-3-5) and Vermont (1-2-4) and in round two they posted a record of 6-5 with wins over Tufts (2-3-4), Northeastern (1-2-3), Salve Regina (1-2-6), MIT (1-2-4) and Harvard (1-5-6). Engineers 2 went 6-5 in both rounds and Engineers 3 went 4-7 in round one.
- Next weekend, MIT will host the Geiger Team Race and will also travel to Coast Guard for the Southern New England Team Race and to Boston College for its Team Race Invite.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.