- Score: UMass Boston 71, MIT 64
- Records: UMass Boston (2-0); MIT (0-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: In the home opener, the MIT men's basketball team dropped a 71-64 final to visiting UMass Boston at Rockwell Cage. The Engineers, who trailed by 11 points in the second half, tied the game at 48-48 with 6:45 remaining before the Beacons eventually came away with the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With the game tied at 12-12 nine minutes in, the Beacons embarked on a 14-4 run over the next 5:48 and built to a 26-16 lead after a three from Charles Mitchell. UMass Boston led by at least five over the remainder of the first half before taking a 34-27 lead into halftime.
- The Beacons extended the lead to a game-high 11 points at 46-35 with 12:27 before the Engineers rallied. Over the next 5:42, MIT put together a 13-2 run that was capped by a layup from sophomore Alex Cho (San Diego, Calif.) to tie the game at 48-48.
- After UMass Boston went back in front, MIT kept the game within two possessions and pulled back within two at 55-53 on a layup by sophomore Cooper Driscoll (Wallingford, Pa.). Over the final 3:23 however, the Beacons knocked down 11 free throws to secure their first win in the all-time series since the 2014-15 season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- First-year Tim Kostolansky (Walnut Creek, Calif.) led the Engineers with 16 points and six rebounds off the bench. Sophomore Grant Miller (Park Ridge, Ill.) nearly posted a double-double with 10 points and nine rebounds to go along with 13 points from Cho.
- Charles Mitchell led all scorers with 22 points, while Charlie Mitchell had 14 points and three assists. Malik Lorquet recorded the game's lone double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds, along with a 13-point effort from Michael Boyd.
- MIT returns to action on Saturday, November 16th as the Engineers host Eastern Nazarene for a 2 p.m. start.