- Score: Emerson College 86, MIT 57
- Records: MIT (10-9, 3-5 NEWMAC); Emerson College (12-7, 5-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: Boston, Mass. (Bobbi Brown and Steven Plofker Gym)
- The Lead: On Saturday afternoon, the MIT men's basketball team dropped an 86-57 road final at Emerson College as the Lions completed the sweep of the regular-season NEWMAC series between the two teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Emerson took a 10-3 lead over the first four minutes, capped by a layup from Jarred Houston. A Jack O'Connor three moments later put the Lions up by double figures as that lead grew to 17 at 30-13 following a three by James Beckwith with 2:39 on the clock.
- Nick Martin put Emerson ahead by 20 at 38-18 early in the second half before Ian Hinkley (Raleigh, N.C.) capped a quick 5-0 spurt for MIT that cut the lead down to 15.
- Emerson maintained a comfortable cushion throughout the second period and eventually stretched the advantage to 30 at 71-41 after another O'Connor three with 6:32 left.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hinkley posted a team-high eight rebounds to go along with nine points, along with 11 points by Masys.
- MIT finished the game 14-for-17 from the free throw line, shooting 82.4 percent.
- Houston led the Lions with 18 points, while O'Connor nearly had a triple-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.
- Beckwith added 15 points in 13 minutes off the bench to go along with 11 points by Martin and 10 points from Zach Waterhouse.
- Emerson outscored MIT 45-21 from three-point land, connecting on 15-of-33 attempts.
- MIT is back in action on Wednesday, February 5th as the Engineers host No. 23 Babson College for a 7 p.m. start.