- Score: MIT 2, Wheaton College 1
- Records: MIT (3-0-3, 1-0-0 NEWMAC); Wheaton College (3-5-0, 0-1-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: Junior Loukas Carayannopoulos (Westfield, N.J.) scored with 36-seconds to play in regulation to lift the MIT men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over Wheaton College in the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) opener for both squads on Saturday.
- 24th minute (23:05) - Antonio Rogliano finished a short pass from Luca Novaes to give the visiting Lyons the 1-0 lead.
- 74th minute (73:07) - MIT first-year Will Seiple (Boulder, Colo.) scored his second goal of the season and knotted the match up at 1-1 as his shot from a low angle found the back of the net.
- 90th minute (89:24) - With 36-seconds left to play, junior Carlos Hernandez (Weston, Fla.) rocketed a free kick into the box. The ball bounced off a few people before landing at the foot of Carayannopoulos, who fired a shot into the right corner of the net securing the 2-1 win for the Engineers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT held an 11-9 edge in shots and a 6-4 advantage in corner kicks. MIT keeper Jeremy Cowham (Quincy, Mass.) improved to 3-0-3 as he made two saves for the Engineers, while Diego Medina dropped to 2-3-0 this fall with three saves for Wheaton.
- After going 0-1-1 against the Lyons last season, the Engineers picked up their first win over Wheaton since 2017 this afternoon. MIT is now 8-19-4 in the all-time series which dates back to 1998.
- The victory today stretched MIT's unbeaten streak to ten matches which dates back to October 19 of last season. This is the longest unbeaten streak the Engineers have produced since the 2015 campaign.
- MIT travels to Curry College for a non-conference match on Wednesday, September 25 at 6:30 pm. The match against the Colonels will be the first between the two teams since the 1999 season.