No. 5 MIT 232, No. 25 Bowdoin College 66
No. 5 MIT 233, WPI 67
- Records: No. 5 MIT (3-1); Bowdoin (0-2); WPI (4-2)
- Location: Brunswick, Maine (Leroy Greason Pool)
- The Lead: In a double dual meet featuring No. 5 men's swimming and diving, No. 25 Bowdoin College and WPI, nationally-ranked MIT came away with a 232-66 win over Bowdoin and a 233-67 win over NEWMAC foe WPI in Maine this afternoon. Of 16 contested events, MIT came away with victories in 14 of them.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Three Engineers led the way for MIT with two individual victories this afternoon. Junior Josh Graves (Tustin, Calif.) swept the distance events with a 9:43.79 win in the 1000-free and a 4:45.13 win in the 500-free. Classmate Sam Ubellacker (Georgetown, Ky.) was victorious in the 50 free in 21.12 and the 100-fly in 51.23, while in the diving well freshman Jay Lang (South Lyon, Mich.) swept both events with scores of 325.05 on the 1-meter and 326.85 on the 3-meter.
- MIT's point total kept on growing as they swept the top three positions in three separate events. Behind Ubellacker in the 50-free was sophomore Justin Liu (Linwood, N.J.) in 21.29 and freshman Nicholas Baginski (Hawthorn Woods, Ill.) in 21.49. Ubellacker also paced the Engineers in the 100-fly as he was followed by sophomores Kevin Fang (Austin, Texas) and Henry Hu (Southbury, Conn.) with times of 51.73 and 51.75, respectively.
- Six other Engineers were victorious in their individual events in the double-dual meet. Fang won the 100-free in 1:42.40, freshman Jaya Kambhampaty (Arlington, Va.) won the 100-back in 52.45, classmate Jordan Ren (Chapel Hill, N.C.) won the 100-breast in 58.70, freshman David He (South Setauket, N.Y.) won the 200-fly in 1:54.15, freshman Brandon Yue (Sammamish, Wash.) won the 200-breast in 2:10.26 and junior Bouke Edskes (Rockville, Md.) won the 200-IM in 1:55.79.
- The two "A" relay teams also won their heats at the beginning and the end of the meet. Edskes, senior Brandon McKenzie (Brigantine, N.J.), Ubellacker and freshman Kyri Chen (Naperville, Ill.) won the 200-medley relay in a time of 1:33.74, while junior Emilio Sison (Annandale, Va.), Baginski, Liu and Chen won the 400-free relay in a time of 3:06.93.
- Both Lang and junior Samuel Solomon (Rockville, Md.) recorded NCAA Division III Northeast-North qualifying marks on both boards. Lang's scores and placements are mentioned in the opening paragraph and Solomon finished as the runner-up in the 1-meter board (313.65) and third on the 3-meter board (304.65).
- MIT has two weeks off before it hosts its annual Winter Invitational from November 30 through December 2. The Engineers will welcome Bowdoin, Keene State, RPI, Simmons, Tufts, Wheaton and Wellesley. The events on Friday, November 30 include the 800 free relay and the 1650 free and are scheduled to begin at 6:30 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.