- Score: No. 15 MIT 3, St. John Fisher 2 (25-14, 22-25, 25-18, 22-25, 15-9)
- Records: No. 15 MIT (8-1, 1-1 UVC); St. John Fisher College (6-6, 0-2 UVC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: The No. 15 MIT men's volleyball team bounced back from yesterday's loss with a thrilling five set victory over St. John Fisher College in a United Volleyball Conference (UVC) match on Sunday afternoon. The Engineers downed the Cardinals by set scores of 25-14, 22-25, 25-18, 22-25, 15-9 in the first-ever meeting between the two clubs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT hit over .300 in all five sets as a team this afternoon and ended the day combining for a hitting percentage of .359 (52 kills, 10 errors, 117 attempts). MIT was led offensively by senior Tavish Smith (Laguna Beach, Calif.), who registered 17 kills, as he notched his sixth double-digit kill match of the season. Smith added a season-high two assists, ten digs and one block to lead the Engineers to the win. Junior Skyler Kaufman (Needham, Mass.) and freshman Nathan Wang (Saratoga, Calif.) both hit .400 as Kaufman tallied 16 kills and Wang chipped in with nine. Wang also registered a team-high two service aces.
- Defensively, MIT totaled nine blocks (seven solo, four assists), three of which came from freshman Evan Pasko (San Diego, Calif.). The freshman also registered four kills in the winning effort this afternoon.
- Next weekend, MIT will head to New Jersey for its second UVC crossover weekend of the year. The Engineers will take on No. 2 Stevens Institute of Technology on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. before facing off with No. 6 NYU on Sunday at 11:00 a.m.