- Score: No. 15 MIT 3, Lasell University 0 (25-19, 28-26, 25-21)
- Records: No. 15 MIT (15-3); Lasell University (10-11)
- Location: Auburndale, Mass. (Lasell Athletic Center)
- The Lead: Playing as a ranked team for the first time this season, the No. 15 MIT men's volleyball team defeated Lasell University in straight sets tonight by scores of 25-19, 28-26, 25-21. This was the second meeting between the two teams over the past seven days.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With the score tied at 11-11 midway through the first set, MIT scored three straight points on a Lasell error and single kills by Troy Oliveira (San Diego, Calif.) and Cole Linnus (Wellington, Fla.) for a 14-11 edge. MIT never relinquished its edge as the Engineers went on to take the first set 25-19. An error by the Lasers paired with a kill from Oliveira accounted for the final two points for the Engineers in set one.
- The second set featured 19 ties and three lead changes. The final time the score was tied in the second was at 26-26. MIT received a kill from Jack Yurkanin (New Lenox, Ill.) for point 27 and an assisted block from Oliveira and Jacob Gasparich (New Lenox, Ill.) to escape the second with a 28-26 win. Neither team had more than a three-point edge the entire set.
- Tied at 20-20 in set number three, MIT embarked on a 5-1 match-ending run that gave the Engineers their 12th consecutive win. The final stretch featured solo kills from Nicholas Gustafson (San Diego, Calif.) and Nathan Wang (Saratoga, Calif.) as well as an assisted block from Linnus and Wang.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Yurkanin registered his second double-double of the season with a match-high 17 kills and a match-high ten digs as he hit .538 (17K-3E-26TA) tonight. Oliveira added 11 kills and a trio of digs on the night. Wang also dished out 41 assists, notched three blocks, two kills and had six digs for the Engineers. Lasell was guided by 15 kills from Scott Sterenberg.
- MIT held statistical advantages in kills (46-37), hitting percentage (.326-.188), assists (45-33) and digs (32-24).
- MIT is now 2-0 against Lasell on the season and 20-4 in the all-time series dating back to 2002.
- The Engineers extended their winning streak to 12 with tonight's win. MIT came into the match ranked 15th in the NVU/AVCA Division III National Poll.
- MIT will host No. 3 New Paltz in a crucial United Volleyball Conference (UVC) matchup on Friday, March 6 at 7:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.