- Score: Colby College 68, MIT 42
- Records: MIT (1-4); Colby (2-2)
- Location: Waterville, Maine (Wadsworth Gymnasium)
- The Lead: Colby College outscored MIT, 18-6, in the second quarter, helping it pull away for a 68-42 win in non-conference women's basketball action on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Annika Sougstad (Mahtomedi, Minn.) tallied 13 points, five rebounds, three steals, and three blocks for the Engineers.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT scored the first five points of the game courtesy of a free throw and two layups by junior Jocelyn Luizzi (Colchester, Conn.). Colby responded with a 14-5 run, taking a 14-10 lead at the 3:21 mark. Following almost two minutes of scoreless play, Sougstad drained a layup as the quarter later ended with a 14-12 score.
- The Mules opened the second stanza with a 9-2 spurt, fueling their pivotal 18-6 run, and helping them enter halftime with a 32-18 advantage.
- Colby maintained its comfortable cushion as its margin grew to 55-29 at the end of the third quarter.
- The final frame was a balanced affair as both teams generated 13 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Luizzi finished with eight points and five rebounds while senior Cindy Si (San Antonio, Texas) produced seven points, six rebounds, and three assists.
- Colby led the way in field goal percentage (42.6 – 26.6), three-point shooting (9-of-25 to 4-of-25), free throws (13-of-15 to 4-of-7), rebounds (41-27), points off turnovers (12-7), second-chance points (10-3), points in the paint (24-18), and bench scoring (21-5).
- MIT will host Bowdoin College on Saturday, Nov. 30 at 2:00 p.m. The Polar Bears are currently No. 5 in the D3hoops.com Top 25 Poll and No. 6 in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association Poll.