- Score: MIT 79, Mount Holyoke College 15
- Records: MIT (8-10, 2-2 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (1-19, 0-5 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: MIT rattled off 17 unanswered points to open the game en route to a 79-15 victory over Mount Holyoke College in NEWMAC women's basketball action on Saturday. Sophomore Annika Sougstad (Mahtomedi, Minn.) amassed 19 points, nine assists, seven rebounds, and seven steals for the Engineers. Ellie Hayward paced the Lyons with eight points while grabbing three rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT generated 17 straight points during the first five minutes of the game. A jumper by Krya Sanborn-Burch put Mount Holyoke on the board at the 2:18 mark, however, the Engineers went on to build a 48-3 advantage heading into halftime.
- The early stages of the third quarter were closely played as MIT had an 8-7 scoring edge before seeing its lead grow to 64-10 at the end of the frame.
- In the fourth quarter, the Engineers outscored the Lyons, 15-5.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Sophomore Christina Antonakakis (Holmdel, N.J.) scored a game-high 20 points while classmate Anna Broski (Stillman Valley, Ill.) produced a career-high 17 points. Senior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) hauled in a career-high 14 rebounds to go along with seven points, three assists, and three steals as junior Kylie Gallagher (Upton, Mass.) posted eight points and eight rebounds. First-year Trinity Gao (Sunnyvale, Calif.) rounded out MIT with seven rebounds and three steals.
- Annika Brooks notched five points and five rebounds while Maria-Lucia Delgado contributed five rebounds to Mount Holyoke's cause.
- Both teams continue NEWMAC play next week. MIT will travel to WPI on Wednesday, Feb. 5 for a 7:30 p.m. tip off while Mount Holyoke will host Wellesley College on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 1:00 p.m.