- Score: MIT 5, Gordon College 1
- Records: MIT (1-1); Gordon (1-2)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: MIT produced three goals in the first quarter en route to a 5-0 victory over Gordon College in a non-conference field hockey game on Wednesday night. First-year Paige Forester (Glencoe, Ill.) powered the Engineers with two goals and an assist.
- 4th Minute (3:15) – MIT 1, Gordon 0: Forester carried the ball along the far side of the field and sent a cross to senior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) who knocked it to the inside of the near post.
- 5th Minute (4:48) – MIT 2, Gordon 0: Junior Amanda Garofalo (Fairfield, N.J.) redirected the rebound of Goetz's saved shot.
- 13th Minute (12:25) – MIT 3, Gordon 0: Garofalo buried a blast from just inside the far side of the arc.
- 17th Minute (16:22) – MIT 4, Gordon 0: Forester tipped in the rebound of a blocked shot.
- 27th Minute (26:23) – MIT 5, Gordon 0: First-year Erica Radler (Wayne, N.J.) corralled the rebound of a saved shot and then found Forester for the goal during a scramble in front of the net.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Goetz finished with one goal and one assist while Garofalo had two goals.
- Julia Altman totaled five saves for Gordon as Avonlea Cummings and Abigail Seay both recorded a defensive save in a six-second span during the fourth quarter.
- MIT ended the night with advantages in shots (18-6) and shots on goal (12-3) while the Fighting Scots finished with a 5-4 edge in penalty corners.
- There was a 65-minute weather delay between the first and second quarters.
- This was the 11th year in a row the Engineers won their home-opener.
- Both squads head to Maine for non-conference games on Saturday, Sept. 7. MIT will visit the University of New England for a 1:00 p.m. start while Gordon will travel to Thomas College for a 2:00 p.m. match up.