- Score: MIT 1, No. 3 Tufts University 0
- Records: MIT (4-2); No. 3 Tufts (3-1)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Lead: On MIT's first shot of the game, senior defender Taylor Grey (Horsham, Pa.) found the back of net as the Engineers held off nationally-ranked No. 3 Tufts University for the remaining 41 minutes en route to a 1-0 non-conference field hockey win on Wednesday night.
- 19th Minute (19:00) – MIT 1, Tufts 0: On a penalty corner, sophomore Laura Chen (Califon, N.J.) inserted the ball to Grey who unleashed a shot from the top of the arc.
- 34th Minute (35:56) – Rachel Hamilton was awarded a penalty stroke for Tufts but junior goalie Grace Moore (Boston, Mass.) made a diving save at the far post.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Moore collected 12 saves for the Engineers.
- Andie Stallman made one save for the Jumbos.
- Tufts ended the night with advantages in shots (18-3), shots on goal (12-2), and penalty corners (11-2).
- This was the second time in three years MIT defeated Tufts by a 1-0 margin and with its only goal coming on a penalty corner. Last season, the Jumbos registered a 1-0 victory, also scoring on a penalty corner.
- Both squads will take on nationally-ranked conference opponents on Saturday, Sept. 21 at 12:00 p.m. MIT will travel to No. 19 Babson College for its NEWMAC opener while Tufts will host No. 20 Colby College in a NESCAC match up.