- Score: MIT 3, No. 17 SUNY Geneseo 2
- Records: MIT (15-4); No. 17 Geneseo (19-3)
- Location: Ewing, N.J. (TCNJ Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex)
- The Lead: Despite a late push by No. 17 SUNY Geneseo, including a goal with just over six minutes remaining, the MIT field hockey team held on to defeat the Knights, 3-2, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday at The College of New Jersey. First-year Paige Forester (Glencoe, Ill.) tallied two goals in the first half as the Engineers earned a spot in the Elite Eight for the second time in program history and first since 2011.
- 3rd Minute (2:16) – Geneseo 1, MIT 0: Maggie Phipps put a quick shot on net.
- 3rd Minute (2:56) – Geneseo 1, MIT 1: Forester deked by a defender for the equalizer.
- 27th Minute (26:45) – MIT 2, Geneseo 1: A long pass from sophomore Lucy Kitch-Peck (Bethlehem, Pa.) was corralled by Forester who sent it to the far post.
- 41st Minute (40:20) – MIT 3, Geneseo 1: Senior Devon Goetz (Rockville, Md.) converted a penalty stroke.
- 54th Minute (53:51) – MIT 3, Geneseo 2: Phipps connected on a pass from Julia Kim on a penalty corner.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Geneseo ended the day with advantages in shots (14-7), shots on goal (10-5), and penalty corners (11-2).
- This was the first meeting between both programs. In addition, this was the Engineers' third victory over a nationally-ranked opponent.
- MIT will play No. 6 Franklin & Marshall College on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 1:00 p.m. at The College of New Jersey in the regional final.