- Score: MIT 3, Babson College 0
- Records: MIT (12-2-2, 7-0-0 NEWMAC); Babson College (5-8-2, 2-5-0 NEWMAC)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Roberts Field at Steinbrenner Stadium)
- The Lead: The MIT women's soccer team improved to 7-0 in league play and moved to 12-2-2 overall as the Engineers shutout Babson College, 3-0, in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action on Tuesday afternoon in Cambridge.
- 23rd minute (22:44): MIT 1, Babson 0 - Junior Montana Reilly (Los Angeles, Calif.) drove down the field and crossed the ball diagonally to freshman Karenna Groff (Weston, Mass.) midway through the first. Groff took one step and fired the ball into the back right corner of the net for her ninth goal of the year.
- 50th minute (49:05): MIT 2, Babson 0 - Senior captain Amy Apostol (Los Gatos, Calif.) received the ball from freshman Jessica Sonner (Naperville, Ill.) in the middle of the box. Apostol tapped the ball into the back of the net after it deflected off the hands of Babson keeper Elizabeth Mycock for her sixth goal of the season.
- 60th minute (59:23): MIT 3, Babson 0 - Senior captain Hailey Nichols (Boulder, Colo.) put home her second goal of the season after she finished a ball off a corner kick by Groff.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- MIT has now scored three or more goals in six of its seven NEWMAC matches this fall. In total, the Engineers have scored 60 goals this fall which is exactly the same number of goals they had through this point in the season a year ago.
- The Engineers outshot the Beavers by a 36-5 margin overall and held a 22-1 differential over the final 45 minutes of action. MIT also held an 11-2 margin in corner kicks tonight. In the second half alone, MIT registered eight corner kicks and did not allow Babson to take one.
- MIT keeper Lily Mueller (Lakeville, Minn.) made three saves between the pipes and picked up her fifth shutout of the season. Mycock tallied a career-high 15 saves for the visiting Beavers.
- MIT heads to Springfield College on Saturday, October 20 for a NEWMAC match that is slated to begin at 3:00 pm.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.