- Event: Boston University Winter Open
- Location: Boston, Mass. (BU Aquatics Center)
- The Lead: The MIT women's swimming and diving program sent a handful of student-athletes to the two-day Boston University Winter Open which concluded tonight. This group of Engineers competed against student-athletes from Boston University, Brown, Fairfield, Tufts, Boston College, Colby Sawyer College and Iona.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- On Friday, Emily Yuan (Newbury Park, Calif.), Alexandrine Obrand (Westmount, Quebec), Liane Xu (Boston, Mass.) and four divers competed in events across the river.
- In the swimming portion of the meet, Yuan placed 13th in the 500-free in 5:28.25, while Obrand touched the wall 13th in the 50-free in 25.83 and Xu placed 18th in the 50-free in 26.39.
- In the diving well, Deborah Wen (Honolulu, Hawaii) paced the Engineers with a fourth place finish on the 3-meter board with a score of 264.20. Behind Wen, was Katelin Du (Scarsdale, N.Y.) in sixth with 253.00 points, Megha Maran (Elk Grove, Calif.) in ninth with 234.15 points and Isabel Rosa (Lake Bluff, Ill.) in 12th with 212.55 points.
- Obrand had the best individual finish on Saturday morning for MIT as she placed ninth in the 100-breast in 1:10.90. Behind her was Nicole Dundas (Menlo Park, Calif.) in 10th in 1:12.04 and Xu in 12th in 1:13.65. Yuan placed 12th in the 200-free in 2:01.77, while Chelsea Zhang (Sherborn, Mass.) was tenth in the 100-fly in 1:00.18 and 11th in the 100-back in 1:04.32 and Dundas with 16th in the 100-fly in 1:05.51. Zhang, Obrand, Yuan and Xu closed the session with a sixth-place finish in the 200-medley relay in 1:56.75.
- In the final session before time trials, the Engineers competed in a pair of events. In the 200-back, Zhang was 12th in 2:16.47 and Xu was 15th in 2:21.55, while in the 100-free Obrand was 15th in 56.00 and Dundas was 20th in 59.07.
- In time trials, Obrand notched a time of 56.83 in the 100-free, 1:10.34 in the 100-breast and 25.68 in the 50-free, while Zhang clocked a time of 2:16.92 in the 200-fly and 1:01.17 in the 100-fly. Yuan posted a time 5:21.54 in the 500-free, Xu went 2:39.80 in the 200-breast and Dundas went 1:11.16 in the 100-breast to round out the action.
- MIT will host the 2020 NEWMAC Championship beginning on Thursday, February 20.
- For the latest on MIT Athletics, follow the Engineers via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.