- Score: No. 17 MIT 9, Springfield 0
- Records: MIT (3-0, 3-0 NEWMAC); Springfield (0-3, 0-3 NEWMAC)
- Location: Springfield, Mass.
- The Lead: In NEWMAC action on Sunday afternoon, the No. 17 ranked MIT women's tennis team stayed undefeated with a 9-0 shutout win over Springfield College in the team's first road match of the season. Overall, MIT now holds a 19-0 edge over the Pride in the all-time series.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- MIT swept its way to a 3-0 lead through the doubles matches, including a convincing 8-1 victory at the No. 1 position from juniors Sonya Das (Arden Hills, Minn.) and Dora Tzeng (Fremont, Calif.). The other two doubles matches went in favor of MIT by 8-2 finals.
- All six singles matches were straight-set victories for the Engineers, including a 6-2, 6-3 win for Tzeng at No. 1 over Springfield's Melissa Parish. Included in those wins were 6-0 sets by freshman Lara Rakocevic (Portland, Ore.) at No. 4, junior Rena Liu (Oak Hill, Va.) at No. 5 and freshman Effie Jia (San Ramon, Calif.) at No. 6 singles.
- MIT is idle until next Saturday, September 17th as the Engineers play host to Mount Holyoke College for a NEWMAC match beginning at Noon.