MIT 3, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts 0 (25-18, 25-13, 25-22)
MIT 3, Gordon College 0 (25-11, 25-16, 25-11)
- Records: MIT (3-0), MCLA (0-3), Gordon (2-1)
- Location: Wenham, Mass. (Bennett Center)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team swept the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (MCLA), 25-18, 25-13, 25-22, and host Gordon College, 25-11, 25-16, 25-11, to capture the Gordon Invitational title on Saturday. This was the ninth time in 14 appearances at the tournament the Engineers came away with a first-place finish. Senior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) represented MIT on the All-Tournament Team.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH ONE vs. MCLA:
- Set 1: MIT raced out to a 10-3 lead but MCLA battled back, coming within one on two occasions, the last at 15-14. The Engineers responded by gradually pulling away for 25-18 win.
- Set 2: Following a back and forth start that resulted in 9-7 edge, MIT put together a 16-6 run to close out the set.
- Set 3: Tied at 10, the Engineers went on a 7-1 run to create some breathing room and then eventually went up 24-18 on a setting error. MCLA rattled off five straight points to stay alive, however, a kill by sophomore Julia Caravias (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) thwarted the comeback attempt.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- First-year Lilly Edwards (Kansas City, Mo.) paced MIT's balanced attack with six kills.
- This was the first meeting between both programs.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH TWO vs. Gordon:
- Set 1: MIT scored the first three points en route to 10-3 lead and then went on to post a 25-11 victory.
- Set 2: Trailing 8-6, a kill by Groark sparked a 19-8 run as a kill from Edwards ended the set.
- Set 3: A kill by sophomore Hannah Grupe (Oakwood, Ohio) ignited an 18-7 run which powered MIT to a 25-11 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Groark posted 10 kills and a .400 hitting percentage while junior Emily Condon (Orange, Calif.) produced eight kills, a .538 hitting performance, and a career-high six blocks.
- Maloney totaled 27 assists, seven digs, three aces, and two blocks.
- Lee notched 11 digs as Grupe bolstered the defense with four blocks.
- MIT returns to the north shore of Massachusetts on Tuesday, Sept. 3 when it visits Endicott College for a 7:00 p.m. non-conference match.