- Score: MIT 3, Rochester Institute of Technology 1 (25-23, 27-25, 23-25, 25-10)
- Records: MIT (7-2); RIT (5-3)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team opened the first day of the MIT Invitational by defeating the Rochester Institute of Technology, 25-23, 27-25, 23-25, 25-10, on Friday. This was just the third meeting between both programs and the first since 2005.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Set 1: MIT built a 10-6 lead and maintained a small cushion for most of the set. RIT, however, came within one point on three occasions, the last at 24-23 on a hitting error. The Engineers went on to clinch the set courtesy of a kill by junior Emily Condon (Orange, Calif.).
- Set 2: An ace by junior Andie Maloney (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) gave MIT a 13-6 advantage. The Tigers chipped away at the deficit, eventually tying the set at 20. Following a deadlock at 23, a kill by first-year Alyssa Unell (Scottsdale, Ariz.) set off an exchange of points until back-to-back Condon kills gave the Engineers a 27-25 win.
- Set 3: In a back-and-forth set that featured seven ties and four lead changes, MIT held a 21-18 edge after a kill from Condon. RIT responded with a kill from Taylor Higgins, which sparked a 7-2 set-ending run.
- Set 4: After a close start, the Engineers gradually pulled away and recorded a 25-10 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Condon finished with a career-high 13 kills and three aces to go along with a match-high six blocks.
- Senior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) paced MIT with 14 kills as Maloney tallied 38 assists, 11 digs, five blocks, and two aces.
- Junior Francesca Macchiavello (Lexington, Ky.) collected nine digs while Unell posted five blocks.
- Katie Hobler powered RIT with a match high 23 kills as Higgins amassed 17 digs and 15 kills.
- Maria Simonetti generated 15 digs while Joelle Marston bolstered the Tigers' defense with four blocks.
- Brianna Ellis dished out 46 assists for RIT.
- MIT and RIT return to action on Saturday, Sept. 14 with two more matches to close out the MIT Invitational. The Engineers will face SUNY Geneseo at 10:00 a.m. followed by Bowdoin College at 4:30 p.m. The Tigers, meanwhile, will take on Tufts University at 10:00 a.m. and nationally-ranked No. 20 Babson College at 2:30 p.m.