MIT 3, Mount Holyoke College 0 (25-9, 25-10, 25-11)
MIT 3, Husson University 0 (25-12, 25-16, 25-13)
- Records: MIT (16-3, 5-0 NEWMAC); Mount Holyoke (3-13, 0-6 NEWMAC); Husson (4-17)
- Location: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Lead: The MIT women's volleyball team swept NEWMAC rival Mount Holyoke College (25-9, 25-10, 25-11) and Husson University (25-12, 25-16, 25-13) in a tri-match on Saturday afternoon. The wins lifted the Engineers' record to 16-3 on the year and 5-0 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH ONE vs. Mount Holyoke:
- Set 1: Mount Holyoke inched out to a 4-1 lead courtesy of a pair of aces from Brayden Walden. MIT chipped away at the deficit and then went in front, 6-5, on back-to-back aces by first-year Sofie Kupiec (Manhattan Beach, Calif.). A kill by Sasha Simine brought the Lyons within 7-6, however, a kill from senior Alexis Groark (Elwood, N.Y.) set off a string of 11 unanswered points which fueled an 18-3 set-ending run.
- Set 2: After a back-and-forth start to the set which resulted in a 6-6 deadlock, the Engineers won the next three points. A hitting error trimmed Mount Holyoke's deficit to 9-7. This was as close as it would get as a kill from sophomore Hannah Collins (Sunnyvale, Calif.) ignited a 16-3 run to wrap up the set.
- Set 3: A kill by Marianne Simon tied the set at five, however, another Collins kill sparked a 7-0 spurt which propelled MIT to a 25-11 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Collins led all players with 11 kills while hitting .588 and posting two blocks.
- Senior Madison Lee (Hillsborough, Calif.) totaled a match-high seven digs, followed by six from Kupiec.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MATCH TWO vs. Husson:
- Set 1: Holding a 6-4 lead, MIT scored seven of the next eight points before going on to capture a 25-12 win.
- Set 2: Trailing 14-10, Husson won the next four points, capped by the second of two aces from Cat Torres. Kills by senior Shea Landeene (Phoenix, Ariz.) and sophomore Julia Caravias (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) gave the Engineers some breathing room, however, a hitting error set off an exchange of points that moved the score to 17-16. MIT responded with a kill from Kupiec which kicked off an 8-0 run that ended the set.
- Set 3: The Eagles opened the set with an ace by Torres, but the Engineers captured the next five points to go ahead for good. Husson narrowed the gap to 6-4 following a hitting error, however, MIT replied with a Caravias kill which sparked a 15-2 run en route to a 25-13 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kupiec produced 34 assists and three aces as the Engineers hit .425 for the match.
- Junior Emily Condon (Orange, Calif.) had a match-high 10 kills to go along with two blocks while Landeene finished with eight kills.
- Lee collected 11 digs as junior Francesca Macchiavello (Lexington, Ky.) earned five aces and five digs.
- MIT will travel to nationally-ranked No. 24 Babson College on Tuesday, Oct. 8 for a 6:00 p.m. NEWMAC match.